Achieving the perfect photo is often trickier than it seems, and anybody who’s ever attempted to carefully time a shot will know the struggle of lining everything up to a precise degree. Even something as simple as capturing a person jumping takes a fair amount of planning, lest you want to end up with a picture of your subject halfway off the ground with a pained expression on their face.
But sometimes, the best photographs are the ones we didn’t mean to take. Here are 20 photos that turned out looking amazing just by sheer chance…
1. There’s something fishy about this shot
2. What goes up…
3. Former president by day, wizard by night
4. Jesus looks different to what I expected
5. Either the Vatican is broadcasting alien signals, or it just got hit by lightning
6. Hoverchild is still fearful of her powers
7. You might think the ball is tiny, but actually these guys are giants
8. White eye shadow + perfectly-timed blink = instant demon
9. Spider-cat, spider-cat, does whatever a spider-cat does
10. Nature is beautiful
o turned the ocean into jello again?
12. Use the force, Luke
13. ‘Hello, have you heard about our lord and saviour, Poseidon?’
14. Kids can be such angels sometimes
15. This shot was caught on the fly
16. Catch the ball, save the ball, be the ball
17. Quick, nobody’s looking – time to fly
18. This candle wasn’t so much blown out as it was blown away
19. Nope, that’s not a mirror
All of these are once-in-a-lifetime shots, and I don’t think the photographers would be able to capture them again if they tried. Plus – as many of them show – you don’t need a fancy camera to achieve great results, so why not snap a few pictures of your own next time you’re out and about? You never know what you’ll end up with.